Function editor Search box

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

Function editor Search box

Postby ray on Wed May 22, 2019 4:28 pm

When running Dyalog for Windows, using the standard function editor, there is a drop down box used by the "search next match" and "search last match" buttons.

Once some text has been entered in this box, it is highlighted, and it can be searched for. All well and good.

At a later stage in the APL session, other text may be entered, highlighted, and searched for, or (via the drop down arrow) earlier text may be selected and searched for. Again, all well and good.

However, I find it annoying that after using the search facility, on subsequent editing a function, the last selected search text is highlighted both in the drop-down box and (if present) within in the function body.

My question is, other than starting a new APL session, how can one clean out all the text previously entered in the drop down box?

I assume the contents of the drop down edit box resides somewhere within ⎕SE, and therefore could be erased with ease (say via a user command).

Thanks
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Re: Function editor Search box

Postby kai on Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Yes, this drives me crazy.

It should emphasize hits right after the search was performed. It does not!

It should not emphasize hits later on, for example when the editor is restarted. It does.

Also, there should be a mechanism for switching off the highlighting, even if it is done by searching for nothing.

I have reported this in January 2019.

If you agree that this needs changing, step in and have your say. Only when enough people agree that the current behaviour is not only wrong but a pain in the arse will Dyalog change this.
kai

Postby ray on Thu May 23, 2019 4:02 pm

I was wrong about being held in ⎕SE.

Code: Select all
⎕SE.⎕EX ⎕SE.⎕NL ⍳9

did not clear it, or for that matter, the language bar!
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Postby norbertjurkiewicz84 on Thu May 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I agree with all points made here. The behavior without the ability to disable the highlights is very annoying at times.
norbertjurkiewicz84

Postby kai on Tue May 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Looked into this with Gil. We found that there is a way to reset it: Click the "X" in the search box in the toolbar.

I did not realize this because I never use that field: preferring keyboard over mouse I press Ctrl+F to make the "Find" dialog box appear, which has the additional benefit of more options.

For those who prefer the mouse this is a solution. For those who prefer the keyboard... I am missing John again very much :(
Attachments
resethits.png
screenshot
kai

Postby Phil Last on Wed May 29, 2019 7:32 am

I assume Gil and Kai are both using 17.1 as it's not present in 17.0 or V17.0.35960.0 at least. Perhaps Dyalog has moved on this without telling anyone.
Phil Last

Postby Veli-Matti on Wed May 29, 2019 7:43 am

Hi, as far as I know, that mysterious x has been around in the 17.0 all the time.
You can use that in the Edit (or Combo) object with the HasClearButton property.

Before that I learned to search for, say qqq, to get rid of the annoying highlights.

-Veli-Matti
Veli-Matti

Postby Phil Last on Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am

Nor in 17.0.36301. Do I need to update my session?
Phil Last

Postby Phil Last on Wed May 29, 2019 10:09 am

Or do you mean I have to manipulate an editor object?
      '⎕SE'⎕WG'Editor'
Phil Last

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Hi all,

The X on the edit field is in 16.0 and 17.0, but only if you Native Look and Feel enabled.

It clears what is in the quick search edit field, but not the history in the drop down combo.

That history is stored in the memory of the process and there is no way to clear it currently.

There is an issue logged for this quick search edit field: 16848: Editor does not clear the quick search edit field when searching for new text with the Edit->Find dialog.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Next

Return to APL Chat