Native file dependancies?

General APL language issues

Native file dependancies?

Postby crishog on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:22 pm

I have a routine which runs once a week - it has been doing so since some time in 2015. One of its tasks is to move a file to an archive drive

Recently I took advantage of NEXISTS & NMOVE to greatly simplify the code & also moved the target directory to a RAID array

This has run happily for some time, right up to last week, but something changed on the PC this week, albeit not Dyalog

Now if I invoke APL directly I can see the RAID drive and everything works, but the task is run by a scheduler program - and then the RAID array is invisible to APL

Even if I use )cmd the shell cannot see the drive. The scheduler hasn't been altered, but the RAID software was upgraded, so that must be the culprit in one sense

Not strictly an APL problem, so I'm just looking for hints as to where to look - perhaps some setting is blocking Dyalog?
crishog

Re: Native file dependancies?

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:06 am

Morten|Dyalog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:16 am

Hi Chris

What do you get from ⊃⎕I, ⎕an and ⎕cmd'map use' in both environments.

I wonder if the two environments are running as different user IDs, in particular whether the service is running with elevated permissions ?

JD has just pointed me to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3035277/mapped-drives-are-not-available-from-an-elevated-prompt-when-uac-is-co which may help. The summary of this page: either alter your registry, or call net use in the service.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby crishog on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:44 pm

After a lengthy delay I'll answer both replies at once:

1) yes the // UNC works - but only if I use the IP address not the name of the resource

2) ⎕an and ⎕cmd'map use' give the same results in both cases

3) did you mean ⊃⎕I as that just gives me a syntax error

I think because of point (1) this is not a Dyalog issue - I know it is weird that a direct call to dyalog & one via the scheduler give different results, ut is the IP address works I think this can be laid squarely at Microsort's door: the network discovery process is misbehaving. I can't even see the resource through any browser if I use the name, only if I use the IP. Fortunately despite DCHP it doesn't really change so I can modify the code to use the locate the IP address & use that.

Irritating but it gets around my problem while I work on fixing Windows network discovery
crishog

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 am

You're right .. that should have been ⊃⎕ai
AndyS|Dyalog

Return to Language