Highlight all occurrences of a selected word

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

Highlight all occurrences of a selected word

Postby Farhood on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:41 am

Many modern IDEs have the option to automatically highlight all occurrences of a selected word, i.e. when the cursor is on a word.
This functionality exists in Dyalog IDE but is not implemented for a selected word. It works when the desired text is typed in the search field (see the attached screenshot).

It is not very convenient to "click" on the search field, type in word, and "click" back on the main window to continue, it is time consuming and distracting (I don't know if there's a shortcut to end up in that box).
Shortcut for search/find (in my keyboard Ctrl+Alt+F) won't work either because it doesn't highlight and that itself is another (unnecessary/distracting) window.

Having this option, helps to increase understanding of complex functions and speeds up the process of reading/tracing code.

The usual default match in other IDEs is what it seems to be called in Dyalog, "Match Case" and "Match Whole Word".

Implementing this feature will be highly appreciated by many of us.
Attachments
APL_Format_Function.png
example of a function
Farhood

Re: Highlight all occurrences of a selected word

Postby Richard|Dyalog on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion; I can confirm that 18.0 (due for release next year) will likely have this feature. It is under development and experimental so may not appear exactly in this form - or, even, at all - but the current behaviour is that when the cursor is over a name then all other occurrences of that name are outlined - for example:

2019-01-04.png
Richard|Dyalog

Re: Highlight all occurrences of a selected word

Postby Farhood on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks Richard,

This feature will save a lot of time for many of us.
I talked to Jay and he mentioned that there's a chance this outline box will be replaced by a sort of background colour.
If that would be the case, then it could be configurable (Options→Colours).
Farhood

Return to APL Chat