Almost every statement is wrong...

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

Almost every statement is wrong...

Postby crishog on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am

http://www.bobsguide.com/guide/news/201 ... dium=email

Well in my opinion, but I'm part of his "ageing cult" I suppose.

Would anyone care to contact Bobs Guide and ask for an opportunity to refute his somewhat biased declarations?
crishog

Re: Almost every statement is wrong...

Postby Dick Bowman on Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:12 pm

Obviously someone who has decided they have an axe to grind.

I'm thrown back to my 15-year-old times when I read a book about propaganda - the first rule being to ignore every word of your opponent. And looking at other episodes of this sort of trashing (here and in other spheres) the sure way to lose an argument is to respond point-by-point (seeing as 99% of your possible audience probably already agrees with the originator).

I'd suggest the course of action with best chance of success is to offer a few instances of current APL growth/success stories - which I'm sure Morten and chums know well of (and if they can't...)

But don't get dragged down into historic argument (we've seen that in the Wakkypedia shambles for instance). There's some aphorism (I forget the details) about never arguing with an idiot.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Postby petermsiegel on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:08 pm

His arrogant attitude about Basque and Gaelic really kills his credibility. His ignorance on how interpreted languages work means he didn't pay attention in class. (And since he seems to like Javascript as a "full-stack" language, his advice on interpreted languages is downright confusing). IMHO his very generic, one-size-fits-all analysis means his influence will be very limited!

Thanks for sharing. While I wouldn't respond, it's actually worth thinking about why this attitude is out there.

Maybe my son, who lives near their offices, can have a "talk" with Bob. (Only kidding Bob).
petermsiegel

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:26 am

The author is the CIO of a company that seems to be under pressure because a successful (Dyalog) APL-based competitor has entered his market in the last few years. Can't feel good to be be losing out to a product based on such poor technology... :-)

The article originally appeared on the SS&C blog site (https://www.ssctech.com/blog/five-reasons-investment-accounting-applications-built-on-outdated-programming-put-customers-at-risk), and since then it has been posted in a couple of places.

We (Dyalog) are considering a suitable response.
Morten|Dyalog

Postby Phil Last on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 am

Author is CV Channagiri, Chief Information Officer at SS&C Technologies Inc., presumably a direct competitor of outfits such as Simcorp, Fiserv, &c. who seem to be doing OK thank you, despite their not having succumbed to the ignorant pressures that he is now espousing.
Phil Last

Postby Phil Last on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:20 am

Sorry for repetition. Obviously forgot to hit F5 before responding.
Phil Last

Postby paulmansour on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Ah ha, the article makes much more sense (if that is the right word!) when you read the very different version posted on the company blog that Morten linked to. There it is a direct attack on Simcorp and APL by a competitor (who used to use APL!).
paulmansour

Postby Tomas Gustafsson on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:58 am

Tomas Gustafsson

Return to APL Chat