Insufficient free contiguous memory issue

Using (or providing) components based on the "Win32" framework

Insufficient free contiguous memory issue

Postby Mateo on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Hello

I'm using a bound exe to deploy an application to my users.
I use a maxws=1G setting. (With lower values, we faced wsfull issues for some of the heavier calculations.)
I recently started to come across the following error message:
There is insufficient free contiguous memory to obtain a 1024MB workspace. Dyalog APL/W can obtain a 768MB workspace. Continue?
So far this had no noticeable effects on the app, so we didn't bother looking after a solution.

Recently, one user faced this issue, and got stuck when the app tried to interact with MS Excel (It does so through OLE automation code.)
He said app froze, and did not mention any wsfull error.
The user did not change his habits. The memory settings of the computer seems normal.

I found this on this forum, I feel like the solution might be in there, but it is a bit technical for me :(.

Can anyone help me with this ?

Regards,

Matéo
Mateo

Re: Insufficient free contiguous memory issue

Postby kai on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:18 pm

Mateo,

My hunch is that you use the 32-bit of Dyalog, right?

Settle for 64-bit, this should solve your problem.
kai

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:20 am

Hi Matéo,

As Kai suggests, using our 64-bit Dyalog is the best way forward.

On the computers with MAXWS issues, if you try different MAXWS of 800m, 850m, 900m, and 950m, do any of those work better?

The user whose app froze should generate a process dump of the frozen process. Please contact us at Dyalog support for more details.

Rebasing DLLs: first, you would need to use listdlls to find out which DLLs are causing the problem. Once you know that, you could also copy the DLLs into a zip folder and send them to us at Dyalog Support. We could do the rebase for you if you wished.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:22 am

Hi Matéo,

I think that this thread should be in our Windows forum, so I will move it there.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby Mateo on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:46 am

Hi

Thanks for your answers.
Concerning the 64b version, I could look to offer both versions during setup, if it is mainly a matters of runtime version. For the moment, it would be complicated to force all users to 64b because some subsidiaries are still using old machines.

I'll be contacting you directly at dyalog support to move forward with other solutions.

Thanks for moving the post to the correct forum, I was not sure in which one to put it in the first place.

Regards,

Matéo
Mateo

Return to Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX