Dyalog Conferences

No need to worry about going "off topic" here
Forum rules
This forum is for general chit-chat, not necessarily APL-related. However, it's not for spam or for offensive or illegal comments.

Dyalog Conferences

Postby kai on Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:58 pm

Regarding the quality of talks I found Boston the best conference for quite a while. However, maybe things can get even better by making a change.

I wonder if it would make sense to present relatively elaborate abstracts very early, like now for next year's conference, and to ask the public whether they find a topic interesting or not.

That would allow Dyalog to compile a proper ranking including the possibility of abandoning talks almost nobody is interested in. It would also allow proper scheduling so that everybody can take part in the most popular talks.
kai

Re: Dyalog Conferences

Postby Dick Bowman on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Not having been to a conference for a while I may not be the best person to comment, but off I go anyway...

One reason I stopped going was because I got bored with the format; I'm not keen on sitting listening to talks.

What I'd like to see is a format that has a lot more participation to it, where people can propose new ideas which we can discuss/refine/rubbish. As one of my heroes from the outside world once put it - the event has failed if the walls are still standing afterwards.

I've floated a few of my concepts to various people in recent years - usually too late to have them put into effect. And this sort of thing may not sit too easily with Dyalog's need (I'm assuming here) to have a showcase which shows how great things are.

But if anyone wants to conscript me into discussions of potential conference format, let me know.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Return to Chat