defaults in Dialog of OS X

How to enrol; Forum policy; Entering APL characters; Discussions regarding Forum organization

defaults in Dialog of OS X

Postby David Perkins on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:15 pm

# mac os10.11.6 El Capitan
# using Dyalog Version: 3.0.1996
# Platform: MacIntel
# Date: 2016-11-01 14:14:30 +0000

I have recently installed a personal/non-commercial version of Dyalog-15.0, and am attempting to set up, for example, workspaces in my own (non-Dyalog.app) folders.

The Mac configuration and user manual instructions have suggestions such as using this menu sequence:

Options -> Configuration  Workspace  Workspace search path

Unfortunately, the Dyalog that I downloaded from the Dyalog site does not have a menu "Options" item, much less sub-menus.

There is also no "save as" option in the File menu, only New Session and Connect.

The base question is how to update the default configurations for items such as file paths, workspace locations, etc. The "preferences" menu is rather limited, from what I can tell.

Any help or reference to appropriate manuals would be appreciated.

Dave Perkins
David Perkins

Re: defaults in Dialog of OS X

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi David

Can you drop support@dyalog.com a screenshot of your APL session .. that menu sounds rather more minimal than we would expect !

For now, the other option on OSX is to edit the file ~/.dyalog/dyalog.config and enter things like MAXWS and WSPATH in there; don't forget to put the word "export" at the front of each definition !
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby petermsiegel on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:44 am

Would be great if the outcome is shared here. Here and there the current documentation doesn't apply to OS X (in some manuals, it still doesn't even list OS X as an option), so I never even considered a menu-based approach was meant for the Apple world. While editing the config file as indicated works fine, it would be great to know this SHOULD work as documented.
-Best / Thanks
petermsiegel

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi Peter,

I've corresponded with Dave.

A confusion arose because the "Mastering Dyalog APL" book was written before we had a native Mac version. The book assumes that the user is using Dyalog for Microsoft Windows. That Dyalog has an Options → Configure...→ Workspace.

The only way to set configuration parameters for Dyalog for Mac is via environment variables. The best way to do this is to modify the dyalog.config file as Andy mentioned.

We do have logged requests for enhancement (what we call RFEs) for improving our Mac OS menus/configuration and also updating or supplementing the "Mastering Dyalog APL" book in some way.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby petermsiegel on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:25 pm

Much obliged. It indeed works as expected.
-Pete
petermsiegel

Return to Using the Forum