Why WPF ?

Using Microsoft Windows Presentation Foundation and Syncfusion WPF Libraries

Why WPF ?

Postby PGilbert on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:21 pm

To my opinion the answer to that question is: To be able to offer a better user experience (UX) to your customers. If you have already an excellent program (in APL) and are looking at increasing your market share, going WPF is the way to go. Why ? because with WPF you will be able to redesign the user interface (UI) so that new customers will want the user experience that you will be offering. How do you do that ? You will need to rethink your whole user interface so that you present your results or ask for data in a way that the user will feel more comfortable and more intuitive with your application than the one before or from the one of your competitor.

The usual comparison is with the iPhone. Is Apple having a better battery ? better reception ? new way to dial numbers for the phone ? no. What they have is a new design where the user feels more comfortable to use their phone compare to the competition. What about the iPad, it was done before Apple without big success and now the iPad is everywhere. All this because of the user experience is better than before with Apple.

With WPF we have the tools to rethink our applications (or design new ones) that will give a better user experience. The difficult part is to come with that new way to present the application and outside help may be needed since we are used to think button, edit box, slider, etc. We are not talking here about having more animations, or skinning the buttons, etc. It is more like a different concept or design to interface with the user.

Personally I think that having a UI that is more graphical where the user is not presented with a lot of numbers is part of the solution. I would agree to say that the users will not read the help or anything that is written on the UI and we have to understand that.

Each application is different and I am not competent in UI or UX design but my point is that if you don't use WPF and your competition use it, there is a good chance that you are in trouble in the long run.

Pierre Gilbert
Last edited by PGilbert on Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PGilbert

Re: Why WPF - 2 ?

Postby PGilbert on Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 pm

Here is a couple of links of interest on the subject of WPF:

Windows Presentation Foundation Introduction from Microsoft

10 reasons you should consider WPF for your next desktop application

Pour la communauté francophone il y a d'excellent articles sous ce lien

Note: This thread is about the promotion/explanation of WPF for desktop applications. Everyone is welcome to add their comments and links on this subject otherwise please start your own thread. Thanks.
PGilbert

Re: Why WPF ?

Postby Dick Bowman on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Mulling some of this over while engaging in a battle of wills with a herd of cows at the weekend (they won) - perhaps we should find somewhere to post a gallery or two of UI examples created with WPF.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Postby PGilbert on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:17 pm

This link has many examples.

This application was developed in WPF
PGilbert

Postby Dick Bowman on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:05 am

Sorry, wasn't clear - I meant examples of applications written in APL which use WPF (so that we can change the emphasis from "we ought to..." to "we have done this...".
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Return to WPF & Syncfusion