Cannot load MISERVER any more

MiServer is Dyalog's APL-based web development framework

Cannot load MISERVER any more

Postby Jinny on Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:20 am

Please could you tell me how to get MISERVER working again?
When I try to load the workspace, I get the responses that I have pasted under this message. I think that it is probably because the system became unresponsive when I was last using the workspace and so I suspect that it has not shut down properly.

Many thanks, Jinny

* Unable to rebuild user command cache: the path of C:\Users\jinny.mcdonald\Documents\Dyalog APL 17.0 Unicode Files\UserCo
mmand20.cache does not exist
MiServer stopped.
An error occured
cannot find the file "C:\MiServer.com\Utils\~$hh.dyalog"
Load[16] {326=⎕DR ⍵: ⋄ '***'≡3↑⍵:failed,←⊂(('<.+>'⎕S{1↓¯1↓⍵.Match})⍵)}⎕SE.SALT.Load f,' -target=#' ⍝ do not reload already loaded spaces

EM cannot find the file "C:\MiServer.com\Utils\~$hh.dyalog"
#.Boot.Run 3
#.Start 80
#.RUN 2
Jinny

Re: Cannot load MISERVER any more

Postby Jinny on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:38 am

Help! Just trying to bump this up as I can't do anything with my programme till I can start up MiServer again
Jinny

Re: Cannot load MISERVER any more

Postby Brian|Dyalog on Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Mystery solved!

Adam cleverly recognized the pattern "~$" in the file that was trying to be loaded. This is a hidden file that Microsoft Word creates when you edit a file - it has the same name as your file, prepended with "~$". If for some reason Word isn't closed cleanly, that file may linger. I suspect that was the case here.

There are a couple of points to be made:
  • We recommend that you do not put your code in the MiServer folder structure. If you have code that you want loaded with your MiSite, place it in a folder named "Code" under the root of your MiSite. (In your case that would be c:\HH\Code) This way if you download a newer copy of MiServer, your code won't accidentally be lost, it'll still be in your MiSite.
  • We don't recommend using MS Word for editing code - too many things can go wrong :). My personal preferences are the editor built into Dyalog and VS Code. In a pinch, Notepad, or Notepad++ are also viable options.

I hope this helps!
/Brian
Brian|Dyalog

Return to MiServer