Minor irritation

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

Minor irritation

Postby ray on Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:32 pm

I am happily using MiServer 3.1.1663 under Dyalog 18.2

On ending MiServer, I execute it's "Stop" function.

If I follow this with a )LOAD while pressing <control>, (to prevent ⎕LX being executed) the combination of the <control><enter> ignores the System Command but starts tracing the MiServer's class "[destructor]".

Code: Select all
      Stop
Object 'SRV00000000' has been closed - Web Server shutting down
MiServer stopped.
      )LOAD "C:\misites\hex\Combat_fns.dws"

⍝ MiServer.UnMake pops up under trace at this point

)si
[#.Boot.[MiServer]] #.MiServer.UnMake[1]*
[destructor]

⎕WSID
C:\MiServer31_1663\miserver

Is there any way of preventing the class "destructor" being "traced" when issuing a system command while pressing <control>?
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Re: Minor irritation

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:26 pm

Hi Ray,

I can reproduce this issue with miserver destructor and )load with Ctrl key.

)load with Ctrl key is supposed to load the workspace and start tracing the ⎕LX expression.

I have logged this as 20258.

You can do the )load with Ctrl key if you first do a )clear beforehand.

As you know (but other readers may not...), if you do not want to execute the ⎕lx expression, you can use )xload

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Re: Minor irritation

Postby ray on Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:43 pm

Hi Vince

Thank you for this.

I only hit this problem because I am such a lazy typist and dyslexic.

Rather than typing
")XLOAD C:\MiSites\hexserver32.dws"
I use my mouse to select the required workspace from the "File" drop down menu (which has the last 20 workspaces I have loaded) while holding down the <shift>+<ctrl> keys.

And I do issue a )Clear to bypass the problem (whenever I remember to do it, but Im getting old).

Or sometimes I use the mouse on the CLEAR menu item first, but this then requires me to move the cursor over the "Yes" in the "? Clear current workspace? " popup before moving back to the File menu. I really am too lazy!

Just a minor point.
As the <shift>+<ctrl> Keyboard Shortcut is not currently defined within my configuration, I do actually hold down the both keys when selecting the desired workspace from the menu. Then, it does actually load the required workspace, without "execute(ing) the ⎕lx expression" or trying to tracing into it, exactly as )XLOAD would have done, (if I could have been bothered to type it in correctly).

I also have PFkey1 set up to perform a ')xload "',(⎕WSID),'" ' that will re-XLOAD the current workspace. I do so hate typing!
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Return to APL Chat