WWKD

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

WWKD

Postby Roger|Dyalog on Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:16 am

In the HOPL IV Q&A, I mentioned the WWKD (what would Ken do) subroutine that I have in my head. In the immediately following comment, Morten said,
Well, we didn’t all have the benefit working enough with Ken to be able to predict what Ken would say, …

I would like to point out that I benefited by being very familiar with Ken’s papers, for example I typed in all of A Source Book in APL, which included The Design of APL, The Evolution of APL, and Notation as a Tool of Thought; and Operators and Functions, Rationalized APL, A Dictionary of APL, and so on; and the all-important first chapter of A Programming Language; and Ken’s Ph.D. thesis. (All of these are online in http://www.jsoftware.com/papers/.) Anyone could have done this, but I don’t know that anyone else has.

And yes, I had the good fortune of working with Ken for 15 years on a daily basis in close quarters. Being blessed with a good memory, I apparently remember everything that Ken ever told me. That can not possibly be true, but it sure seems that way.

Even with all of these, obviously I don’t actually know what Ken would say or do.
Roger|Dyalog

Re: WWKD

Postby Roger|Dyalog on Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Postscript. Would Ken sent a message like the above? He would not.
Roger|Dyalog

Return to APL Chat