Ride 4.2 tracer/debuger

APL-related discussions - a stream of APL consciousness.
Not sure where to start a discussion ? Here's the place to be
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing APL-related issues. If you think that the subject is off-topic, then the Chat forum is probably a better place for your thoughts !

Ride 4.2 tracer/debuger

Postby ray on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:38 pm

I noticed that (unlike Ride 4.0 and the Windows session), while tracing a function, Ride 4.1 does not have icons to go back one line or skip forward one line, both "one mouse click" feature I use a lot.

In appendix A of Ride 4.1 documentation, there are references to keyboard short-cuts to Skip back one line, Skip current line and Skip to current line.

But being dyslexic, I really hate most keyboard short-cuts as I cant remember how to spell them! (When typing "two" I more often than not spell it "tow" so I do more programming via my mouse than my keyboard. I will rarely type a word if I can copy and paste it, so I end up with consistently incorrectly spelt words throughout my programs!)

I have not been able to find anything in the documentation on this change from Ride 4.0 and the Windows session, (but then I often cant find things in the fridge which are right under my nose)!

How can one achieve these "Skip" actions with Ride 4.1 using the mouse without the missing/removed icons/menu bar options?

Thanks

Ray
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Re: Ride 4.2 tracer/debuger

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Ray

Have you tried right clicking in the tracer and selecting "Skip to line" ? You should find that the current line is changed to which ever line you right clicked on. "Skip to line" was added as a replacement for the BK and FD icons.

There appear to be some funnies if you try that when tracing through a scripted namespace .. I advise against trying to right click on lines outside the current function. I'll investigate further and log some issues about this.
AndyS|Dyalog

Re: Ride 4.2 tracer/debuger

Postby ray on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:47 am

Hi Andy,

No, I had not tried right mouse clicking!

"That will do very nicely, thank you!"

Thanks also for the warning about scripted namespaces. As it happens I try not to use them as a rule, so not a problem for me.

And a final "Opps" In the subject it should have (of course) been Ride 4.1 not 4.2, my mistake.

Please pass on my thanks to the authors / developer of Ride. I am now using 4.0 with my Raspberry Pi robots with RPi1B and Zero, and 4.1 on my Rpi3B+
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Return to APL Chat