Windows 10

No need to worry about going "off topic" here
Forum rules
This forum is for general chit-chat, not necessarily APL-related. However, it's not for spam or for offensive or illegal comments.

Windows 10

Postby MikeBa on Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 am

MS Windows 10 is due for release this summer, with the likelihood of Windows 10 for Phone being able to run many of the same applications. Does anyone have an inkling of how Dyalog might embrace this new MS environment?
I suppose I am thinking along the lines of Dyalog applications being downloadable from the Windows App Store, which I believe will include well-behaved desktop applications (Adobe Photoshop has been mentioned).
MikeBa

Re: Windows 10

Postby JohnD|Dyalog on Fri May 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Hello Mike,

Microsoft is working on a framework which will allow "Windows Desktop Applications" to be purchased and downloaded through the Windows App Store. We hope to be able to allow your runtime applications to be distributed that way. We'll make an announcement as soon as we are able.

As for running Dyalog applications on Windows Phone 10, that requires more work than just the installation mechanism but we are looking into it. Again, we'll make an announcement when we can.

Best Regards,
John Daintree
JohnD|Dyalog

Postby MikeBa on Fri May 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks John,
Sounds very encouraging. Dyalog are clearly keeping abreast of Microsoft's development strategy and will doubtless exploit any new opportunities to widen the reach of APL.

I suspect that Dyalog is mostly used for bespoke, in-house and/or rather grand applications. The Windows App Store with its sandboxed approach, might encourage developers to build smaller/cheaper stuff that appeals to 'Joe Public' who would be very wary of downloading unknown desktop software from the web. To state the obvious, people seem to be using zillions of different 'Apps', but the range of mass-market desktop software has shrunk to a handful - MS Office, Adobe and various AVs.

Best regards,
Mike
MikeBa

Postby MBaas on Sat May 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Wow, I wish we had Like-Button for forum-posts! ;-)
MBaas

Postby RossHale on Sat May 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Microsoft recently made available another <<free>> kit for simple development of cross platform apps for Windows 8.1 Windows 10 across PC's, Tablets and Phones.

Windows App Studio -- not to be confused with Visual Studio.

Apps are built by selecting templates and attaching a data source.

It seems quite plausible that Dyalog APL could be used to build a data source.

Such an app could access its custom Dyalog data source directly or on a Windows Phone through local WIFI or in an office from a server with office LAN or WIFI
or remotely through the internet.

There may be an opportunity here to widen the appeal or accessibility to more complex existing applications by providing apps for VIP access or wider distribution to stakeholders and clients.

It may be that Windows App Studio may provide a simpler waypoint in the spectrum of packaging applications from directly interacting with Workspaces through full blown HTML and WPF toolkits.

If this idea appeals to anyone, take and run...
RossHale

Postby ray on Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:58 am

If I upgrade my existing Desktop/Laptop running Dyalog APL (V14.0 or 14.1) under Windows 7 to Windows 10, will my workspaces require changes to run under Windows 10?

I have checked the Windows 10 compatibility center, but it has no knowledge of Dyalog or Dyalog APL. (It does say my device is compatible but one Windows "app" a Phone emulator is not.)

Will existing ⎕NA calls to 32 (or 64) bit WinAPI continue to work?

(Some of my old code still checks for running under Windows 3.1!)
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Return to Chat