WPF and Syncfusion

No need to worry about going "off topic" here
Forum rules
This forum is for general chit-chat, not necessarily APL-related. However, it's not for spam or for offensive or illegal comments.

WPF and Syncfusion

Postby MikeBa on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Thank you Dyalog for posting Conference videos and content - very useful for this non-attendee.

I had intended to use HTML5 and SVG for my next UI, but after viewing the WPF videos was quite excited by the prospect of XAML, WPF, binding and Syncfusion which seems to offer an easier development route.

The usual Googling to find out more has left me a little uncertain.

Q1. Will XAML (or XBAP) etc. be confined to running on Windows/IE/.NET clients?

Q2. Does anyone have the inside track on Microsoft's intentions for XAML stuff?

There's a mass of often conflicting information on the Web including this comment from Build 2013:-

"Microsoft didn't go so far as to do a full 180 turn with its developer message. There were no mea culpas around the company's plan to phase out Silverlight, Windows Forms and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF)."

I also saw a suggestion that bits of Silverlight will end up in HTML5!
MikeBa

Re: WPF and Syncfusion

Postby Jonathan|Dyalog on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:15 pm

A1) XAML (XML Application Markup Language) is a programming language developed by Microsoft for declarative programming. It's usually used with WPF (Windows Presentation Framework) and the two names are often - incorrectly - mixed.
XAML is used to define the GUI in WPF (Windows desktop), Silverlight and Modern UI (Metro) applications. Silverlight is being allowed to die out in favour of HTML5 for browser based applications. WPF is Windows desktop only & Modern UI is for Windows Phone and Windows Store applications.

The conference talks showed WPF and XAML, which is a Windows Desktop only technology.
For HTML5 interfaces you should take a look at MiServer.

A2) We don't have any inside information about Microsoft's plans, but WPF & XAML are used in a number of their products - in particular Visual Studio, and are the recommended GUI technology for developing desktop applications. So it's reasonable to assume that they will continue to support and improve it as long as the Windows Desktop is around...
Jonathan|Dyalog

Re: WPF and Syncfusion

Postby MikeBa on Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply.

I had a vague notion that XBAP (XAML Browser Applications) would allow me to use WPF and reach the widest audience. A little digging seems to suggest that XBAP is a restricted and rocky road.

I'll follow your advice and take a close look at MiServer.

Regards,
Mike
MikeBa

Return to Chat