Dyalog speed under Win 7 and Win 10

No need to worry about going "off topic" here
Forum rules
This forum is for general chit-chat, not necessarily APL-related. However, it's not for spam or for offensive or illegal comments.

Dyalog speed under Win 7 and Win 10

Postby ray on Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 pm

I have just installed 64 bit Dyalog APL V18 (Unicode) on my brand new desktop PC.

On my 15+ year old desktop PC (ADM Athlon II X2 240 Processor 2.80 GHz with 2 cores) running under Windows 7 Home, "compiling" my "Ants" under Dyalog took 9 minutes 37 seconds.

I was hoping my new PC would be much quicker.

The the new PC (AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor 3.59 GHz) running under Windows 10 Home, the same "compiling" of my ants took 10 minutes 15 seconds!

Besides the fact my new PC has inbuilt SDD, this "compiling" is mainly CPU bound, so I find it hard to understand why it should run faster on the old PC.

Should I put the speed difference down to the operating system?

Has any one else seen Dyalog running more slowly under Win 10?
Ray Cannon
Please excuse any smelling pisstakes.
ray

Re: Dyalog speed under Win 7 and Win 10

Postby JoHo on Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:59 am

Hello Ray,

Recently I did some speed comparisions between v180u32bit under Win7 32bit (Intel PentiumM 2.31GHz, single core, my Classic IBM Thinkpad !) and Win10 64bit (Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 4 x 3.8 GHz, Kaby Lake).

From my experience:
if the programm is mostly number crunching and well crafted, you can expect significant speedups.
For the legacy code I had to deal with, with lots of loopy algorithms and non-threaded GUI refreshes, I did not see any significant speedup. Neither did Dyalog threads help. Next try for this code will be to use Conga and to striclty separate GUI from number crunching code.

One other thought was, that under Win10 you would have all those BIOS and Windows security patches for the Intel micro code (Meltdown and Spectre, etc), which are probably do not installed for a Win7 PC?

By 2022 I will hopefully be able to report some timings from a migration from STSC DOS to Dyalog 64bit on a workstation. :)

HTH
JoHo
JoHo

Return to Chat