Using Export as Standalone

Using (or providing) components based on the "Win32" framework

Using Export as Standalone

Postby crishog on Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am

I've a small APL system which I want to package up for distribution and rather than use a 3rd party installer I thought I'd be clever and use APL itself.

The base system is quite small so all of the image, parameter and code files, etc. can be fitted in one large workspace and regurgitated on the target machine. A simple gui asks a couple of questions about options and locations and voila! We have an APL system installed.

I want to generate a single executable to run the workspace which generates the system so I use File > Export and create a Standalone executable.

I did't think displaying a gui required any .Net components, but I had to add the dyalognet and bridge dlls - I found this out by temporarily not checking the runtime application option, so I could see error windows popping up. Then it asked for apltrans\win.dot - and now it starts up and dies without doing anything.

If I run this on a machine with APL installed it works, so I assume that there is some other missing element from the "Standalone" executable.

Am I doing something particularly dim or does a Standalone executable need other things to prop it up?

Chris
crishog

Re: Using Export as Standalone

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Mon May 21, 2012 8:52 am

Hi Chris,

I've moved this item into the Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX forum.

Your standalone executable shouldn't need our .Net interface unless it has objects that require it. Can you send the workspace that you use to generate the standalone executable to me at Dyalog Support please?

What is the BuildID of the Dyalog you're using to generate the Standalone?

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby crishog on Mon May 21, 2012 1:37 pm

I've tried 13.1 build d0a75e10 AND 12.1 BUILD 3ffa443e

The requirement for apltrans/win.dot is a bit puzzling too

I'll dig out the ws an email it later this afternoon

thanks
Chris
crishog

Postby crishog on Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 am

Yes that did it - just set the maxws in the export command line field of the export dialog.

Stupidly I thought these were only parameters passed to the workspace, I didn't realize that they were also instructions to the interpreter, just as for a shortcut. Doh!

thanks, all working now.

Chris
crishog

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Fri May 25, 2012 9:06 am

For the benefit of any other users who hit a similar situation, I'll summarize what I advised Chris:

A runtime standalone .exe will not look at the development registry entries, so it will only have the default maxws of about 16 mb. I don't get anything when I run it as a runtime, standalone executable. I will look into this.

I have found that your workspace needs a MAXWS of over 30 mb to run.

In the Files->Export dialog, when exporting the stand-alone .exe, you can specify in the command line:

myprogram.exe MAXWS=32000

(The first words myprogram.exe are ignored. The MAXWS=32000 is passed to the standalone executable when it runs.)

I've tried this with your workspace and it works as a runtime stand-alone .exe.

I don't see any indication of bridge or dyalognet being needed...so I cannot explain that.

Apltrans\win.dot messages happen when dyalog.exe or a non-runtime standalone .exe is run on a PC that doesn't have that version of Dyalog installed on it (i.e. the PC doesn't have our registry entries).
Vince|Dyalog

Return to Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX