SQAPL, ODBC, and Unicode

Using (or providing) components based on the "Win32" framework

SQAPL, ODBC, and Unicode

Postby ksa on Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 pm

Sorry if this is an inappropriate post in this forum, but I couldn't find any better...

I'm using SQAPL via ODBC to an MS Access database. Works well most of the time, but now I am having a problem with saving text containing non-ASCII characters like the Euro sign €.
I can't figure out why it doesn't work. APL is 17.1 Unicode, and Access is the newest Office365 version. In the MS Access UI I am having no problem entering this character.
Whether or not I'm using in line statements or bind variables the thing doesn't work.

Does anyone have an idea how to work around this problem (other than changing a zillion texts from € to EUR)?

Thanks in advance.
...../Kim
ksa

Re: SQAPL, ODBC, and Unicode

Postby ksa on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:35 am

By the way, reading from the database doesn't work either.
If I enter a text with € directly into MS Access and read it from APL the character € is returned as two blanks.
So much for Unicode removing character set problems :-(
ksa

Re: SQAPL, ODBC, and Unicode

Postby Morten|Dyalog on Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi Kim, apologies for the usual delaying tactic: stall the user with questions :-)

1) What is the data type of the column that you are trying to use for Unicode text (if you can provide it, the output from SQA.Columns for the table, and the result of SQA.Describe on a prepared statement selecting output from the column inquestion)?
2) Can you provide version numbers for Access and the ODBC driver?

This "should just work" in 2020, I agree.
Morten|Dyalog

Return to Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX