IME & Windows 10

Using (or providing) components based on the "Win32" framework

IME & Windows 10

Postby crishog on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:21 pm

I've just had to upgrade from my ageing Windows 8.1 PC to a new Windows 10 desktop & laptop (also Windows 10)

I've installed Version 17 of Dyalog to be back to working on DFS, but there is sometime peculiar going on.

If I accident;y leave the keyboard set to Dyalog then typing a space or clicking to gain focus produces a lowercase "w". Even stranger is that some application react oddly to have the keyboard set to the normal UK one - Free Commander works until I click on a drive icons to change the display (instead a settings window pops up), but leaving the Dyalog keyboard switched on causes the display to jump to another folder, as if I was using some control+key combination)

Has this behaviour been noticed before? I'd put it down to Free Commander, if the "w" problem hadn't just occurred in my browser, or to the desktop, if the same thing wasn't happening on my laptop.

Any idea of how to stop it happening? Other than reverting to Classic.
crishog

Re: IME & Windows 10

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:25 am

Hi Chris,

I cannot reproduce the issue on Windows 10.

Could you email support and tell us the following please:

What version you see at the top of cmd.exe in Windows 10?

What version of Free Commander is it?

From Dyalog, Options->Configure->Unicode Input, Configure Layout... button What version of the Unicode IME is it?

One alternative is this: our Non-admin install uses a set of registry entries to be able to type APL characters in Dyalog.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby crishog on Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 am

in CMD [Version 10.0.17134.472]

FreeCommander XE 2018 Build 770 32-bit public

Unicode input C:\Program Files\Dyalog\UnicodeIME\aplkeys\en-GB.din

By the way, the "w" also appears in the unicode interpreter session window, where ever I click to place the cursor - it is most odd
crishog

Postby crishog on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Found it!

Although the IME was displaying the issue it wasn't the cause of the problem: I've ported a number of portable applications from my old machine & they still run, some of them in the background & one monitors the keyboard, but it seems to "fight" for control when the IME is present.

A bit sad, really, as otherwise (that is if Dyalog & Free Commander aren't running) it works OK, but if I have to sacrifice it I will just have to find a replacement.
crishog

Return to Windows: GUI, COM/OLE/ActiveX