Question About []USING - Part 2

Using (or providing) Microsoft.NET Classes

Question About []USING - Part 2

Postby PGilbert on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:51 pm

There is something that I don't understand. To access the dll used to create a Window in WPF (PresentationFramework.dll) you need to specify a directory because it is not store with the other dll of .Net 4.0.
I have been doing the following to reach that dll:

⎕USING←'System,mscorlib.dll'
progFiles←Environment.GetFolderPath Environment.SpecialFolder.ProgramFiles
_NetPath←progFiles,'\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\Profile\Client\'
⎕USING←'System.Windows,',_NetPath,'PresentationFramework.dll'

⎕NEW Window
System.Windows.Window

I have seen Dyalog used instead of the above the following (that seems to be working very well and much simplier):

⎕USING←'System.Windows,WPF/PresentationFramework.dll'

⎕NEW Window
System.Windows.Window

I don't have any directory called 'WPF' with PresentationFramework.dll in it and still the last ⎕USING is working anyway. Why is that ?

Thanks in advance
PGilbert

Re: Question About []USING - Part 2

Postby MikeHughes on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:32 am

Pierre,

I am sure you have a directory called WPF. It is usually under the default directory that Dyalog uses to load the dlls.
This default is the reason you don't have to specify a directory for the others.

If you specify an incorrect path in the []using and tryt and access the dll. The status window will say ....cannot find "directory" file. I would be very surprised if the WPF directory is not under this directory since that is how I discovered it to work under my machine. Microsoft placed some of the WPF .net stuff into the sub directory WPF after Dyalog decided on their default.
MikeHughes

Postby Dick Bowman on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55 pm

I think Pierre is onto something, I certainly find that I'm having to tweak the "folder" part of ⎕USING to something different than I see in various postings here.

When I look at Microsoft .NET documentation it seems to take folders for granted.

Something which would be useful (at least in my opinion) would be a writeup of which folders we ought to be using (and I'm wondering whether it depends on OS version). It's the sort of bridge-building which can make using Microsoft's words so much more straightforward - I think they ought to have done it, but maybe I just don't know where to look in the torrent of words.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Postby PGilbert on Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Hello Michael, I was hoping to learn that 'WPF' was a special keyword that finds for us the WPF directory, but looks like its not the case from your answer. If I do a search for 'PresentationFramework.dll' on my computer I get five hits located like this:

1- C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0
2- C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0
3- C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.0\Profile\Client
4- C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v3.5\Profile\Client
5- C:\Program Files\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.0

None of them have 'WPF' directory or sub-directory in it. Could you tell us in wich directory with a 'WPF' in it that you have it in your computer because I can't find it on mine.

Pierre Gilbert
PGilbert

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Thu May 21, 2015 11:09 am

Hi Pierre and Michael,

On my computer, PresentationFramework.dll is here:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\WPF\PresentationFramework.dll

I ran the .NET Framework setup verification tool and it says that I have the following installed:

[05/21/15,12:06:20] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Client: installed with no service packs.
[05/21/15,12:06:20] Install state for .NET Framework 4 Full: installed with no service packs.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby Dick Bowman on Thu May 21, 2015 1:17 pm

For the record, I find PresentationFramework.dll in the same folder as Vince and also (same vital statistics) in Framework64 (rest of folder name the same).

Things do seem a little messy in .NETland.
Visit http://apl.dickbowman.com to read more from Dick Bowman
Dick Bowman

Postby PGilbert on Fri May 22, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks Vince, I have found also this WPF sub-directory on my computers.
PGilbert

Return to Microsoft.NET