Keyboard configuration for Dyalog Apl for the Raspberry Pi,

Installing APL, Sorting out Fonts, Keyboards, etc.

Keyboard configuration for Dyalog Apl for the Raspberry Pi,

Postby BeauWebber on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:40 am

I have installed Dyalog APL on a Raspberry Pi and aim to get MiServer running, for use with my (unfunded) music web page (as a test for later doing things for my company web page).

I would like to access the APL remotely from my laptop.

Firstly, using Putty, I have set the APL 396 Unicode font in Putty (not sure if that is all I have to do), but how do I configure the keyboard to say type an iota ?

Secondly, I am now logged in via tightvnc - So it is rendering the screen fine, but I still have the keyboard problem.
If I click on the Windows button on the vnc server, it opens a menu.

I see there is a page that offers various things to do for various Linuxes :
http://www.dyalog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=210

but nothing specific for the Denbian Wheezy distribution.

Any suggestions as to what I can try ?
cheers,
Beau Webber
BeauWebber

Re: Keyboard configuration for Dyalog Apl for the Raspberry

Postby AndyS|Dyalog on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:31 pm

For PuTTY, you need to set the following:

Window→Appearence: Set "Font used in the terminal window" to APL385 Unicode.
Window→Translation: Set "Remote character set" to UTF-8.

Don't forget to go back to Session, click on Default Settings and then on Save. If you have multiple boxes to connect to, then I recommend creating a separate session for each.

You will need to install the APL385 font (already done) and also the UnicodeIME: that can be found at http://www.dyalog.com/apl-font-keyboard.htm.

We recommend that you configure your Language bar to be docked in the taskbar (Control Panel→Region and Language→Keyboards and Languages→Change Keyboards→Language Bar), and that you set Advanced Key Settings→Change Key Sequence→Switch Keyboard Layout to Left-Alt and Shift. You can then use Left-Alt and Shift to swap between the APL and non-APL keyboard layouts (and the icon in the taskbar will flip between the Dyalog "D" and a normal keyboard accordingly).

With 14.0 we will be releasing RIDE (John Daintree and I gave a presentation on the subject at Dyalog '13) which will offer an alternative to PuTTY and other terminal emulators.

As for VNC/RDP: that is still something for us to look at; Windows and Linux keyboard support is very different, and it's not clear at the moment how we might add support for these two remote desktop applications. It's also the case that even applications like Cygwin's X-server do not offer full XKB support, so cannot currently be used.
AndyS|Dyalog

Postby BeauWebber on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks indeed Andy.
Today I am plugging the Raspberry Pi in directly, using the monitor and desk space from another computer, so I can try and make some progress. I can finally type an iota !
But I will have to give it back when Viv gets back from work ....
So I need to sort this somehow,
cheers, Beau
BeauWebber

Postby BeauWebber on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Hmm, all my keyboards are wireless, and the message passing is sufficiently flaky to make typing passwords problematic.
Also, appeared to be installing either of the usb wifi sticks I tried, but then the wifi utility did not see them.
So back on the LAN :

I have finally understood your point about the language bar - that is the one on the windows lap-top where I have to set the Dyalog keyboard - was not expecting that.
OK putty now works fine with the APL, fonts and keyboard, thanks indeed :
Using control as the key to select the APL characters :
Code: Select all
      ⍳9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Now to try and get miserver down from github ...
cheers,
Beau
BeauWebber

Return to Installation