Windows IDE Colors

General APL language issues

Windows IDE Colors

Postby paulmansour on Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:58 pm

Say I want to the know the particular RGB or hex or HSL value (any one will do) of a color in some color scheme. How can I find that out? I'm missing something obvious or it is not trivial. The registry value does not appear helpful. The form where you pick the color does not show the value of a custom color that someone may have chosen. I tried to hunt for a reference to the form in ⎕SE but could not find it. Not sure its a ⎕WC form or not anyway.
paulmansour

Re: Windows IDE Colors

Postby JohnD|Dyalog on Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:44 am

Hello Paul,

Code: Select all
⎕using←'Microsoft.Win32'
k←Registry.CurrentUser.OpenSubKey⊂'Software\Dyalog\Dyalog APL/W-64 18.2 Unicode\Colours\Schemes\Default'
k.GetValue ⊂'Data'

I'm not entirely sure what information you need. But (Currently, this is "internal" only and may change from release to release) the registry information is as follows

Code: Select all
<a four byte count of entries>
<an array of entries>
      <byte color index>
      <byte color flags>
      <byte color r>
      <byte color g>
      <byte color b>

where flags is combination of:
     0x20 -> it's a foreground color
     0x40 -> it's a background color
     0x08 -> it's bold
     0x10 -> it's italic

The "color index" will/may very from version to version. And it's non-trivial to map that to anything that you'll see on-screen or get from 200 ibeam.

I have a vague plan to move this stuff from the registry into a JSON file, at which point we'll have to nail down the details - but there's no timeframe for that.

Best Regards
John Daintree.
JohnD|Dyalog

Re: Windows IDE Colors

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:44 am

Hi Paul,

For Dyalog and other programs, you could take a screenshot of the window you are interested in.

Paste it into MS Paint.

The Colour Picker tool and the Edit colours button will give you information about a particular colour.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Return to Language