CEF Version

General APL language issues

CEF Version

Postby paulmansour on Mon May 10, 2021 6:18 pm

The interpreter ships with particular version of CEF. How tied is to the HTMLRenderer dll, etc?

In other words, if a new version of CEF comes out, can I drop in the dlls (etc) into my dyalog folder independent of a dyalog release cylce?
paulmansour

Re: CEF Version

Postby paulmansour on Thu May 20, 2021 6:05 pm

So I tried going here:

https://www.nuget.org/packages/cef.redist.x64/90.6.5

dropping the CEF files into the Dyalog folder to see if I could update from v89 to v90 of CEF. No dice.

Where does Dyalog get its CEF dlls? Are they compiled specifically for Dyalog? Or are these the proper files, but the Dyalog dll expects a specific version? If so, can Dyalog enhance things so that new versions of CEF can be be used without getting a new version of Dyalog?
paulmansour

Postby StefanoLanzavecchia on Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 am

Dyalog is not unique in requiring the CEFs DLL to match exactly their current adoption. CEFSharp also needs to be recompiled from source code for every new release of the CEF DLLs. As far as I know that's an intrinsic requirement of the platform. Which is the reason why I asked Dyalog to add an option in the HTMLRenderer object to obtain the exact version of CEF behind so that it's easier to know which features of Chromium are supported and which aren't. Given that the Web APIs are in continuous frenetic evolution knowing what is there and what will need to wait for a future version of the HTMLRenderer helps avoiding adoption of advertised new features which arrived in a more recent version. https://caniuse.com/

Now, Microsoft seems to have gotten around the problem for their WebView2 and offer two update models (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... stribution): one where the developer controls exactly the version of Edgium which his app will bind to and that they'll have to distribute along with their app, and one where the app can rely on the globally installed version which auto updates. To be honest I'd rather be in control of the version I am using to know exactly what it can do and what it cannot, but I can see scenarios where the other approach would be more useful.
StefanoLanzavecchia

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 am

Hi Paul and Stefano,

I can confirm what Stefano says--that a particular version of Dyalog is integrated with a particular level of CEF dlls.

We can upgrade the CEF dlls when we work on a new version as such a change requires some changes to our HTMLRenderer implementation code.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Postby paulmansour on Tue May 25, 2021 4:09 am

I can understand that the HTMLRenderer,dll file would be tied to the CEF dlls, but the interpreter itself? Any reason that the release of HTMLRenderer.dll to cover a new version of CEF has to be tied to the release cycle of the interpreter? I thought even .NET bridge could e updated independently of the interpreter. Is that not right?
paulmansour

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi Paul,

You are right, it is mainly the HTMLRenderer DLLs which are tied in with a particular CEF version.

Sometimes, the interface between the interpreter and htmlrenderer.dll needs to be changed and that will lead to a change in the interpreter.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Return to Language