(Small) enhancement req. for editor

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

(Small) enhancement req. for editor

Postby MBaas on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 pm

It is easy to loose the current edit-position in a class, ie. Shift+Enter on a name is sufficient, as it may jump to that definition WITHIN the class WITHIN the same instance of the editor. And in large classes it may takes a few secs to find your way back to the previous editor-position. I'd like to suggest improving this situation.
Not sure how.

Maybe...

1: internally keep track of "larger movements", i.e. during such 'sub-editing', perhaps also while searching, and maybe also when navigating around (so you should keep track of places where the user has actually edited). And then have a "Back"-Button, as Browsers have, which would enable user to easily jump back

OR

2: as a possibly quicker way of doing this: enable user to manually set bookmarks (on individual lines of edited obj) and then jump to previous/next bookmark. Also provide possibility to clear bookmark(s)

And also I would love to have persistent text-input (kept across editing-sessions) in the search-box on top of the editor AND a kbd-shortcut to jump to previous/next match :-)
MBaas

Re: (Small) enhancement req. for editor

Postby Phil Last on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:09 am

Various aspects of the Dyalog IDE, including particularly editing whole scripts vs individual members, are proposed as topics at the forthcoming BAPLA Moot in April where we will be privileged to have one or more members of the Dyalog development team on hand to join the discussion. see http://moot.aplwiki.com/ and join the discussion on-line.
Phil Last

Re: (Small) enhancement req. for editor

Postby MBaas on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks Phil - I can definitely confirm that you and Kai are not alone! ;-)
Not sure if I'll be able to join the moot, but would love to, because I'd also like to see the IDE improved...or perhaps discuss way of doing the script-based stuff completely outside of Dyalog - although I fear it might me giving up too much of the luxury that comes from working in an integrated 8and integrating) environment...
MBaas

Return to New to Dyalog?