Using the Dyalog APL IDE efficiently

Learning APL or new to Dyalog? Ask "silly" questions here, without fear...

Using the Dyalog APL IDE efficiently

Postby augustk on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:02 pm

First of all, I find the forum categories a bit confusing. I have a question, or rather a feature request, regarding the Dyalog APL Integrated Development Environment (IDE) but I'm not new to Dyalog APL. Anyway, I have been using Dyalog APL for a few years now and I find the navigation between subwindows in the IDE a bit inefficient and frustrating. What I'm looking for is

1. a keyboard shortcut to go from an editor window to the the end of the interpreter window. The Ctrl+Tab command won't cut it as it also toggles between editor windows.

2. a keyboard shortcut to place the insertion point in the search bar in the current editor window.

How do you power users use the IDE. Do you reach for the mouse all the time?

/August
augustk

Re: Using the Dyalog APL IDE efficiently

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:57 am

Hi AugustK,

I believe that you are using 16.0 Classic.

1. You could undock the editor container from the session window. You can then Alt+Tab between the editor container and the session window.

2. This is not in your 16.0 version, but is worth mentioning for other users.

From 17.0 onwards, the <FT> keystroke cycles between the Editor's text window, quick search bar, and treeview. This can be set in Options|Configure|Keyboard Shortcuts in our Unicode version and in the .din input translate file in Classic. It works in our Unicode versions. However, I tried it in 18.2 Classic and there is an issue with it there--I can get to the quick search bar, but not back to the text part.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Re: Using the Dyalog APL IDE efficiently

Postby Vince|Dyalog on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 am

Hi AugustK,

My colleague Adám has told me about the <SC> and <JP> keystrokes. These will work in 16.0 Classic.

JP jumps between the current window and the session.

SC opens up the Find dialog for the current window.

e.g.

I modify my aplkeys\uk.din to comment out F9 and F10 by putting a plus sign in front of them.
+F9=F9: 120 *
+F10=F10: 121 *

I then assign JP to F9 which is Virtual key 120, and SC to F10.
JP=F9: 120 *
SC=F10: 121 *

When modifying the .din input translate files, please take a backup copy first as Dyalog will not start if there is a mistake in them.

Regards,

Vince
Vince|Dyalog

Return to New to Dyalog?